Sunday, July 21, 2013

Southern Fried Rice

 

I will never understand why some people are opposed to leftovers. . . I love them and frankly when it comes to dinner, leftovers mean one less thing to do.  In the spirit of eating and transforming leftovers I bring you 'Southern Fried Rice.'

  • Whatever is left from your blackberry pork loin (you could also use ham or sausage)
  • 3-4 cups cooked rice (I used brown, but white would be good too)
  • 1 carrot diced
  • 1/2 cups soy sauce (Put in a little at a time. . . put in more or less to taste
  • 2-3 cups okra cut into rounds
  • 1 bell pepper diced
  • 2 cloves garlic minced
  • 1/2 of a Vidalia (sweet) onion diced
  • 2 tablespoons oil (peanut, canola, or vegetable)
  1. Heat a wok or large nonstick skillet over high heat.
  2. Add oil to the pan. 
  3. Add produce to the pan and stir fry to desired tenderness. . .I cooked mine for about 10 minutes.
  4. Add rice and soy sauce to the pan and continue cooking for another five minutes. 
  5. Give it a taste. . . make adjustments as necessary and remove from heat. 

**Please feel free to alter this recipe to taste.  I was taught to cook by taste, so most of the time (always) the measurements for ingredients are rough estimates.  I am trying to get better at measuring my ingredients, but if you have any questions in the meantime, please don't hesitate to contact me via comment.**

No comments:

Post a Comment