Thursday, August 15, 2013

Goals and the Small Farms Conference

Long time no post.  First and foremost, I wanted to let everyone know that our new goal for this blog is to post at least every Tuesday.  It becomes so easy to push things aside when you're busy, even when your excited to tell everyone about your adventures, so hopefully this will help everyone out in the long run.  You will know when to look for new posts and we will have a specific deadline we need to meet.
Now that we have to "business" stuff out of the way, let's talk about fun things!  At the beginning of August, Mr. Douglass and I attended the Florida Small Farms Conference.  It was my first time and I had no idea what to expect, but I was hoping that I was going to have a good time.  We arrived early Saturday morning and were greeted by a beautiful Florida farm to fork breakfast. We had quiche made with local eggs and produce, fresh watermelon, and local stone ground grits.  Unfortunately, they didn't say where the grits came from, just that they were local.

  After breakfast I walked the floor and looked at various exhibits, then it was time for class!  I took three ag business classes, so that I could better understand our growing business and help Mr. Douglass to the best of my ability.  Plus, attending those classes help add bonus points with the hubby! ;)  After the classes and shows had concluded, they had a meet and greet for the participants, exhibitors, and experts which was amazing!  They had local chefs from various restaurants in Central Florida who specialized in farm to fork cuisine.  It was all wonderful, but by far my favorite dish was the goat taco made by Chef Kevin Fonzo of K Restaurant.  I know, you're thinking what I was, "Goat tacos?  Sounds sketchy," but they were delicious.  Seriously, you must check them out (http://krestaurant.net/).

It's hard to top the food, but I also have to mention (as a proud wife) that Mr. Douglass spoke as a "local expert" at a class on blackberries.  I wasn't allowed to attend his session (per his request), but I did sneak in at the end and get a picture.  It was a good day for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment